As a multi-certified Dispensing Optician, specializing in Ophthalmology for over 30 years, Katie joined the EyeSight Hawaii team and helped launch one of the top optical departments in the state. Katie’s background includes fitting and consulting in contact lenses, teaching optical technology, designing two optical dispensaries and presenting technical information on the professional speaker’s circuit for all the O’s (Ophthalmology, Optometry and Opticianry).
One of Katie’s key accomplishments was passing the very challenging and prestigious Fellow, Contact Lens Society of America exams in the mid 1980’s. “I heard most people failed their first time, so I chose Toronto, Canada because it was a great location to find out what I needed to learn. To my surprise, I was one of the 25% to pass the written exam. Next, the oral boards. A very tall man asked me the first question: describe what you see in this slide. I froze. From there I relaxed and had fun, thinking it was over and I might as well enjoy the experience. To my surprise, I was one of the very few who passed, in joining a select number of women Fellow, let along someone who passed their first time!”
Katie is also our VSP go-to person. When it comes to Optical, just ask Katie Friedman!
Certifications and credentials throughout her career include:
- National Contact Lens Examiners, Advanced Certification
- Certification, Advanced Technical and Scientific Writing
- American Board of Opticianry, Advanced Certification
- Bachelors of Arts and Sciences, Vocational Education
- Vocational Teaching Credential, in California
- Licensed Dispensing Optician, in California
- Diploma, American Academy of Opticianry
- Fellow, National Academy of Opticianry
- Fellow, Contact Lens Examiners
- Certified Ophthalmic Assistant
Call Katie at (808) 237-2812 to schedule an appointment or if you have any questions.