Dr. Kristin Hirabayashi is an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) who specializes in cornea, cataract, and refractive laser eye surgery, such as LASIK and PRK. She graduated with distinction from Stanford University with a degree in Human Biology. Dr. Hirabayashi earned her medical degree at the University of California, Irvine School of Medicine, where she was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society and graduated with distinction. She then completed her internship at the University of Hawaii Transitional Year Residency Program. Following this, Dr. Hirabayashi completed her ophthalmology residency at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). She then returned to Stanford University to pursue a fellowship in cornea, external disease, and refractive laser eye surgery.
As a fellowship-trained cornea surgeon, she specializes in the diagnosis and management of cornea and ocular surface diseases, including corneal dystrophies, keratoconus, pterygia, and dry eye. She performs cataract surgery (with standard and advanced technology intraocular lenses), refractive laser eye surgery (LASIK and PRK), corneal transplants, and pterygium surgery.
Honors & Awards
- 2019 - Best paper of session at American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- 2018 - Langer Award for highest cumulative OKAP score in residency over 3 years
- 2013 - Junior Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- 2012 - Pathology Chairs Honor Society Member
- 2010 - Joshua Lederberg Award for Academic Excellence at Stanford
- American Board of Ophthalmology - Board certified
- American Academy of Ophthalmology - 2015 to Present
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery - 2015 to Present
- Cornea Society - 2019 to Present
- Study Club for Ophthalmic Research in Hawaii (SCORH) - 2020 to Present
Education & Training
- Stanford University – Fellowship (corneal & external disease & refractive surgery)
- UCSF – Residency in Ophthalmology
- University of Hawaii – Internship
- UC Irvine – M.D. (Distinction in Research)
- Stanford University – B.A. Human Biology
More About Dr. Hirabayashi
- Dr. Hirabayashi has personal ties to Hawaii as both her father and her husband grew up in Hawaii. She is thrilled to be back in Honolulu and is grateful for the opportunity to provide care for such a wonderful community. In her free time, she loves to play volleyball, hike, go to the beach, and travel.