Dr. Kristin Hirabayashi is an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) who specializes in cornea, external disease, cataract surgery and refractive laser eye surgery, such as LASIK surgery and PRK surgery. She graduated with distinction from Stanford University with a degree in Human Biology. Dr. Hirabayashi earned her medical degree at the University of California, Irvine School of Medicine, where she was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society and graduated with distinction. She then completed her internship at the University of Hawaii Transitional Year Residency Program. Following this, Dr. Hirabayashi completed her ophthalmology residency at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). She then returned to Stanford University to pursue a fellowship in cornea, external disease, and refractive laser eye surgery.
As a fellowship-trained cornea surgeon, she specializes in the diagnosis and management of cornea and ocular surface diseases, including corneal dystrophies, keratoconus, pterygia, and dry eye. She also performs cataract surgery and refractive laser eye surgery (LASIK and PRK).
Honors & Awards
- June 2018 - Langer Award for highest cumulative OKAP score in residency over 3 years
- April 2013 - Junior Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- June 2012 - Basic Science Certificate of Excellence for Second Year
- June 2012 - Pathology Chairs Honor Society Member
- June 2012 - Clinical Foundations II Award
- June 2011 - Basic Science Certificate of Excellence for First Year
- June 2010 - Joshua Lederberg Award for Academic Excellence
- American Board of Ophthalmology - Board eligible
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery - 2015 to Present
- American Academy of Ophthalmology - 2015 to Present
- Cordes Society Member - 2015 to Present
- Cordes Society Vice President - 2017 to 2018
Education & Training
- Stanford University – Fellowship (corneal & external disease & refractive surgery)
- UCSF – Residency in Ophthalmology
- University of Hawaii – Internship
- UC Irvine – M.D. (Distinction in Research)
- Stanford University – B.A. Human Biology
More About Dr. Hirabayashi
- Dr. Hirabayashi has personal ties to Hawaii as both her father and her husband grew up in Hawaii. She is thrilled to be back in Honolulu and is grateful for the opportunity to provide care for such a wonderful community. In her free time, she loves to play volleyball, hike, go to the beach, and travel.