For the safe treatment of our patients, the following pre-operative instructions MUST be followed:
- Laser Eye Center - Dr. Olkowski will perform your LASIK PRK surgery in Honolulu, Hawaii. EyeSight Hawaii’s main office is located at 650 Iwiliei Road, Suite 210, Honolulu, HI 96817. On surgery day, you will be at the Laser Eye Center for approximately 2 hours.
- Meals - There are no restrictions for eating prior to LASIK PRK surgery in Honolulu, HI. Patients may have a light breakfast and/or lunch prior to surgery. If you do not usually have breakfast or lunch, it is not necessary to force yourself to eat.
- Clothing, Make-Up and Jewelry - Wear loose, casual and comfortable clothing. Because patients are lying down during surgery, we do not recommend wearing a skirt. Do not wear jewelry, make-up (especially around the eyes), fragrances, after-shave, cologne or lotion.The surgery room must always be kept at a cool temperature. For your comfort, we have blankets and you may also want to bring a sweater.
- Contact Lenses - Remove your soft contacts at least 4 days prior to your complimentary LASIK consultation and 2 weeks prior to surgery. Remove your hard or gas permeable contacts at least 3 weeks prior to your LASIK-PRK consultation. The longer you have worn hard lenses, the longer they will need to be kept out before surgery. If you are unsure when to have them out, please do not hesitate to ask any one of our staff members.
- Medications - You will be offered a Valium tablet (5 mg) on the day of your surgery. Taking the Valium is optional. Dr. Olkowski will also use numbing drops directly on the eyes prior to the procedure.
- Medical Condition - Please contact EyeSight Hawaii prior to the day of treatment if your medical condition changes (i.e., severe cold, fever, etc.). If you are on any medications, please consult with the physician who prescribed them to determine whether or not adjustments need to be made.
- Finances - LASIK or PRK surgery is not covered by insurance. Payment is required prior to or on the day of surgery. Patients may use cash, a personal or cashier’s check payable to EyeSight Hawaii, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, JCB or American Express. Financing is available upon approval and should be arranged prior to LASIK or PRK surgery.
- Transportation - After LASIK or PRK surgery in Honolulu, HI, patients cannot drive themselves home, so please have a responsible adult accompany you to and from the clinic the day of surgery. Private automobile or taxi is recommended. Public transportation is not acceptable. You should not be driving for at least 12-24 hours after treatment or until your vision improves to 20/40.
- Out-of-Town Arrangements - If you are from out-of-town, please let us know where you are staying and leave any Oahu phone numbers where you may be reached. If you are not returning for the 1 day post operative visit the day after surgery, we will ask you to spend a few additional hours resting in our office and Dr. Olkowski will examine you before you leave.