For the safe treatment of our patients, the following pre-operative instructions MUST be followed:
- Laser Eye Center - EyeSight Hawaii’s main office is located at 650 Iwiliei Road, Suite 210, Honolulu, HI 96817. On surgery day, please plan to be at our office for approximately 2 hours.
- Meals - There are no restrictions for eating prior to surgery. Patients may have a light breakfast and/or lunch prior to surgery. If you do not usually have breakfast or lunch, it is not necessary to force yourself to eat.
- Clothing, Make-Up and Jewelry - Wear loose, casual and comfortable clothing. We do not recommend wearing a skirt or a dress. Do not wear jewelry, make-up (especially around the eyes), fragrances, after-shave, cologne or lotion. The surgery room must always be kept at a cool temperature. For your comfort, we have blankets and you may also want to bring a sweater.
- Contact Lenses - Soft contacts: Off for 4 days prior to your consultation and 2 weeks before surgery. Hard or gas permeable contacts: Off for at least 3 weeks prior to your consultation. The longer you have worn hard contacts, the longer they will need to be kept out before surgery. If you are unsure when to have them out, please do not hesitate to ask any of our staff.
- Medications - You will be prescribed post-operative medications Numbing eye drops will be used prior to surgery. An optional Valium tablet (5 mg) will be offered to you on the day of your surgery.
- Medical Condition - Please contact EyeSight Hawaii prior to the day of treatment if your medical condition changes (i.e., severe cold, fever, etc.). If you are on any medications, please consult with the physician who prescribed them to determine whether or not adjustments need to be made.
- Fees and Finances - LASIK or PRK surgery is not covered by insurance. Payment is required prior to or on the day of surgery. Patients may use cash, a personal or cashier’s check payable to EyeSight Hawaii, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, JCB or American Express. Financing is available upon approval and should be arranged prior to LASIK or PRK surgery. We currently offer financing through CareCredit and LendingUSA.
- Transportation - After LASIK or PRK surgery, patients are not allowed to drive themselves home. Please have a responsible adult accompany you to and from the clinic the day of surgery. Private automobile or taxi is recommended. Public transportation is not acceptable. You should not be driving for at least 24 hours after treatment or until your vision improves to 20/40, or better.
- Out-of-Town Arrangements - If you are from out-of-town, please let us know where you are staying and leave any Oahu phone numbers where you may be reached. If you are not returning for the 1 day post operative visit the day after surgery, we will ask you to spend a few additional hours resting in our office and before you leave, the doctor will examine you again.