LASIK with the iLASIK technology suite helps people do the things they love to do without the hassle of contacts or glasses. It is FDA approved to correct mild to severe nearsightedness with/without astigmatism, farsightedness with/without astigmatism, and mixed astigmatism.
If you meet the following conditions, you may be an excellent candidate for the iLASIK procedure:
- Be at least 21 years of age (WaveScan System – CustomVue treatment).
- Be at least 18 years of age (iDESIGN System – Advanced CustomVue treatment).
- Be able to lie flat without difficulty.
- Be able to tolerate local or topical anesthesia.
- Your vision has been stable for at least one year.
- Be able to keep your eye steady on a fixation light during the procedure.
- Be willing to sign an informed consent form as provided by your eye care professional.
- Have healthy eyes that are free from eye disease or corneal abnormality (e.g., scar, infection).
- Be informed of LASIK risks and benefits as compared to other available treatments for your refractive error.
If all of the above applies to you, then you may be a great LASIIK. To fully determine if you are a candidate for LASIK, we would need to see you for a consultation.
You may not qualify for LASIK with the iLASIK technology suite for a few reasons including – but not limited to:
- Severe allergies
- If you have thin corneas
- If you are pregnant or nursing
- Significant dry eye that is unresponsive to treatment
- Signs of keratoconus or abnormal corneal topography
- A history of Herpes simplex or Herpes zoster eye infections
- If you are taking Accutane® (a prescription medication for acne)
- Autoimmune diseases (e.g., rheumatoid arthritis; lupus; multiple sclerosis)
- If you are taking Cordarone® (a prescription medication for irregular heartbeat)
During your pre-operative exam and consultation, we will discuss these and other possible contraindications. If iLASIK, is not recommended, we will also discuss other options, if any, for improving your vision.