Developed by Silicon Valley-based OptiMedica Corp., CATALYS is a new FDA-approved medical device that features a state-of-the-art laser, advanced 3D imaging, and many other innovative features that can bring numerous benefits to our patients for laser cataract surgery in Hawaii.
Every eye has a unique size and shape. CATALYS’ advanced 3D imaging technology builds a 3D map of each eye and tailors the cataract surgery treatment to that map. This enables us to create a customized cataract surgery treatment plan that matches the uniqueness of each eye.Next, we use the CATALYS to create a circular opening for accessing and removing the cataract. Clinical studies have shown that this opening is approximately 10 times more accurate when performed with CATALYS than what is achievable by hand. CATALYS then softens and breaks up the hard cataract into tiny pieces, allowing for gentler, easier cataract removal.
Depending on the patient’s pre-operative vision and desired visual result, we may recommend a tailored treatment plan that could include creating ultra-precise laser incisions in the cornea and a specific clear lens type, such as a multi-focal lens. This tailored treatment may reduce a patient’s need for glasses or contacts after the CATALYS laser cataract surgery.
Benefits of CATALYS laser cataract surgery?
- A more precise treatment
- A gentler and easier cataract removal
- A treatment with little or no discomfort
- A highly customized procedure using advanced 3D imaging
- Generally, a more rapid visual recovery due to reduced inflammation
- The opportunity to receive tailored treatment with advanced technology multi-focal lenses, which may reduce the need for glasses or contacts after laser cataract surgery.